The Research Committee is dedicated to encouraging, supporting, and promoting a broad base of research that is grounded in diverse methodologies. By providing information to the public and the membership, the committee promotes standards of art therapy research, produces a registry of outcomes based research, and honors professional and student research activity.
ART THERAPY PRIORITY RESEARCH AREAS
FOCUSING RESEARCH EFFORTS IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
- Outcome/efficacy research
- Art therapy and neuroscience
- Research on the processes and mechanisms in art therapy
- Art therapy assessment validity and reliability
- Cross-cultural/multicultural approaches to art therapy assessment and practice
- Establishment of a database of normative artwork across the lifespan
SEEKING TO ADDRESS THE FOLLOWING RESEARCH QUESTIONS:
- What interventions produce specific outcomes with particular populations or specific disorders?
- How does art therapy compare to other therapeutic disciplines that do not include art practice in terms of various outcomes?
- How reliable and valid is any art therapy assessment?
- What neurobiological processes are involved in art making during art therapy?
- To what extent do a person’s verbal associations to artwork created in art therapy enhance, support, or contradict?
- What are ways of making art therapy more effective for clients of different ethnic and racial backgrounds?
SUGGESTED POPULATIONS TO RESEARCH:
- Psychiatric major mental illness
- At-risk youth in schools
ART THERAPY OUTCOMES BIBLIOGRAPHY
Members of the Association interested in contributing to the Journal by submitting Cover Artwork or an article, may click here.
ART THERAPY ASSESSMENTS BIBLIOGRAPHY
The creation of the Assessments Bibliography was consistent with the Research Committee’s mission to facilitate greater access to scholarly communication and provide information to the general public regarding research in the field. The project was undertaken in 2015 after it was seen that the existing Outcomes Bibliography, undertaken in 2005, necessarily omitted much art therapy research. The document includes FAQs and the bibliography.
THESIS AND DISSERTATION ABSTRACT COMPILATION
National Art Therapy Thesis and Dissertation Abstract Compilation (organized by author)
National Art Therapy Thesis and Dissertation Abstract Compilation (organized by graduate program)