CREDENTIALS AND LICENSURE
In addition to rigorous academic and clinical training art therapists pursue further credentialing, administered on the national level by the Art Therapy Credentials Board (ATCB). Depending on the state of practice, art therapists may need to attain additional licensure in art therapy or a related mental health field.
The ATCB is an independent organization from the American Art Therapy Association and the Educational Programs Approval Board.
The ATCB administers the following credentials at the national level:
Provisional Registered Art Therapist (ATR-Provisional)
Registered Art Therapist (ATR)
Board Certification (ATR-BC)
Art Therapy Certified Supervisor (ATCS)
- New Jersey (Licensed Professional Art Therapist)
- New Mexico (Licensed Professional Art Therapist)
- Kentucky (Licensed Professional Art Therapist)
- Mississippi (Licensed Professional Art Therapist)
- Maryland (Licensed Clinical Professional Art Therapist)
- Oregon (Licensed Art Therapist and Licensed Certified Art Therapist)
States that regulate art therapy under another professional license are:
- Texas (Licensed Professional Counselor with Specialty Designation in Art Therapy)
- New York (Art Therapy included in the Creative Arts Therapist License)
- Pennsylvania (Art Therapy as a Related Field for the Professional Counselor License)
- Wisconsin (Registered Art Therapist with a License to Practice Psychotherapy)
- Utah (Associate Clinical Mental Health Counselor License)
- State-by-state licensure guide that outlines steps and requirements for attaining licensure in various states
- Advocacy materials for organizing advocacy events and presentations
- Insurance reimbursement information and toolkits for working with Medicare and Medicaid
The American Art Therapy Association supports federal and state policies, legislation, regulations, judicial actions, and initiatives that encourage, promote, and support efforts to gain a professional art therapy license and licensure of art therapists.
Visit our Advocacy page for more information and updates about the American Art Therapy Association’s work toward licensure across the country, and for ways that you can get support our efforts.