The mission of the American Art Therapy Association is to advocate for expansion of access to professional art therapists and lead the nation in the advancement of art therapy as a regulated mental health and human services profession.
- Public service, social justice, and advocacy for the dignity, self-worth, and creative potential of all people.
- Diversity and cross-cultural inclusiveness in its membership and in the development and provision of art therapy to the public.
- Excellent service, efficient stewardship of assets, and high quality programs for members.
- High ethical standards, and self evaluation of the organization, leadership, and the profession of art therapy.
- To provide leadership and financial and educational support to attract a growing and diverse membership of licensed professional art therapists whose services are valued, appropriately compensated, and considered essential to the public in mental health, healthcare, education, arts, and community programs.
Please click here to view a synopsis of the strategic plan.