October 3, 2019
Congratulations to the art therapy graduate programs at Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) and Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE)! On September 20th, the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) approved the EVMS Master of Science in Art Therapy and Counseling and the SIUE Master of Arts in Art Therapy Counseling programs for initial accreditation.
12 art therapy programs have received initial accreditation:
- Albertus Magnus College – New Haven, CT
- Antioch University Seattle – Saettle, WA
- Eastern Virginia Medical School – Norfolk, VA
- Edinboro University – Edinboro, PA
- Emporia State University – Emporia, KS
- Florida State University – Tallahassee, FL
- The George Washington University – Alexandria, VA
- Lewis & Clark College – Portland, OR
- Long Island University – Post Campus – Brookville, NY
- New York University – New York, NY
- St Mary-of-the-Woods College – St Mary of the Woods, IN
- Southern Illinois University Edwardsville – Edwardsville, IL
The AATA is proud to sponsor the CAAHEP accreditation process managed by the Accreditation Council for Art Therapy Education (ACATE). Site evaluations of several additional program have been scheduled across the country, and we look forward to announcing more accreditation approvals in the coming months! As the quality review of master’s level art therapy programs continues to transition over the next several years, it is important to remember that both AATA approved and newly CAAHEP accredited programs prepare their students for entry-level skills and post-graduate certification as an art therapist.