November 14, 2018
The American Art Therapy Association celebrated recipients of annual awards and scholarships during the 49th Annual Conference in Miami, FL. AATA Board President Christianne Strang, PhD, ATR-BC, CEDCAT-S, led the introductions and recognitions at the Plenary Awards Ceremony on Friday November 1, 2018.
Cheryl Doby-Copeland and Christianne Strang
Dr. Strang presented the 2018 Honorary Life Membership Award, and Honors Annual Work Group Member Erin Partridge, PhD, ATR-BC, presented additional prestigious honors:
- Honorary Life Membership Award: Cheryl Doby-Copeland, PhD, ATR-BC, LPC, LMFT
- Distinguished Service Award: Michael A. Franklin, PhD, ATR-BC
- Jim Consoli Video/Film Award: Bruce L. Moon, PhD, ATR-BC, HLM (accepted on his behalf by Catherine Moon)
Michael Franklin with Christianne Strang and Bruce Moon
Dr. Strang bestowed two Presidential Recognition Awards. The Joan Phillips Legacy Award was posthumously awarded to Laura Greenstone, ATR-BC, LPC, and was accepted on her behalf by her husband Jack Harris. The Presidential Recognition Award went to Mary Andrus, DAT, ATR-BC, ATCS, LPC.
From left: Mary Andrus with Christianne Strang, Laura Greenstone
Cheryl Doby-Copeland, PhD, ATR-BC, LPC, LMFT, Assembly of Chapters Speaker, announced Jennifer August, MCAT, ATR-BC, LPAT as the recipient of the Nancy Schoebel Distinguished Legislative Service Award.
From left: Jennifer August with Christianne Strang, Andrea Cook with Christianne Strang
Multicultural Committee Chair Delora Putnam-Bryant, MS, ATR, LPC-IT announced Andrea Cook as the 2018 recipient of the Pearlie Roberson Annual Scholarship Award.
Research Committee Chair Girija Kaimal, EdD, ATR-BC, announced the 2018 Research Award recipients:
- Doctoral Student Research Award: Elena Guseva, MA
- Gladys Agell Award for Excellence in Research: Leah M. Mendez, MA, LPC, ATR-P
- Rawley Silver Research Award: Jordan S. Potash, PhD, ATR-BC, REAT, LPCAT (MD), LCAT (NY) and Jennifer DeLucia, DAT, ATR-BC, LCAT
- Research Seed Grants: (1) Einat Sabina Metzl, PhD, LMFT, ATR-BC and Ana Laura Treviño Santos, MA and (2) Dan Tsze, MD, MPH and Susanne Bifano, LCAT-BC (accepted on her behalf by Patricia St. John, EdD, ATR-BC)
From left: Elena Guseva, Leah M. Mendez with Christianne Strang, Jordan S. Potash and Jennifer DeLucia with Christianne Strang
Christianne Strang with Einat Sabina Metzl and Sussane Bifano
Scholarship Annual Working Group Member, Rebecca Miller, LCAT, ATR-BC, CCLS, presented certificates to recipients of the Student Scholarship Awards and the New Professional Scholarships:
- American Art Therapy Association Anniversary Scholarship: Jenelle Hallaert
- Cay Drachnik Minorities Fund: Maqueita S. Eleazer
- Irene Rosner David Medical Art Therapy Scholarship: Nicole Fenech
- Myra Levick Scholarship Fund: Lisa Thomas
- New Professional Scholarships to the American Art Therapy Association Annual Conference: Eunice Yu and Kelsey Brannock
- Prasad Family Foundational Student Scholarship: Andrea Cook
- Rawley Silver Award for Excellence: Kimberly Nguyen
- Student Scholarships to the American Art Therapy Association Annual Conference: Alyssa Gursky, Amanda Shaw, and Erin Doyle
The 2019 AATA board was installed after the Annual Meeting of the Membership on Friday Nov1, 2018. The AATA thanks outgoing Directors of the Board for their dedicated service: Paige Asawa, PhD, ATR-BC, LMFT Treasurer (2016-2018); Cheryl Doby-Copeland, PhD, ATR-BC, LPC, LMFT, Speaker, Assembly of Chapters (Director 2013-2018, and Speaker 2017-2018); Sangeeta Prasad, ATR-BC (2016-2018); and Gaelynn Wolf Bordonaro, PhD, ATR-BC (2014-2018). The AATA welcomes four incoming Directors of the Board: Nadia Paredes, ATR, LMFT, as Treasurer; Elizabeth Hlavek, ATR-BC, LCPAT, as Speaker of the Assembly of Chapters; Louvenia Jackson, MFT, ATR; and Girija Kaimal, EdD, MA, ATR-BC.
Installation of the 2019 Board of Directors
Thank you to everyone recognized this year for your contributions to the profession!