August 7, 2019
AATA is pleased to announce that the Master of Arts in Clinical Art Therapy and Counseling program at Long Island University – Post Campus (LIU POST) in Brookville, NY has been approved for accreditation through the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). On July 24, 2019 the CAAHEP Board approved the accreditation recommendation by the Accreditation Council for Art Therapy Education (ACATE).
LIU POST joins 9 additional art therapy programs with initial accreditation:
- Albertus Magnus College – New Haven, CT
- Antioch University Seattle – Saettle, WA
- Edinboro University – Edinboro, PA
- Emporia State University – Emporia, KS
- Florida State University – Tallahassee, FL
- The George Washington University – Alexandria, VA
- Lewis & Clark College – Portland, OR
- Long Island University – Post Campus – Brookville, NY
- New York University – New York, NY
- St Mary-of-the-Woods College – St Mary of the Woods, IN
AATA is proud to sponsor the accreditation process through CAAHEP, managed by ACATE. Site evaluations of several additional program have been scheduled across the country, and we look forward to announcing more accreditation approvals in the coming months! As the quality review of master’s level Art Therapy programs continues to transition over the next several years, it is important to remember that both AATA approved and newly CAAHEP accredited programs prepare their students for entry-level skills and post-graduate certification as an art therapist.
Interested in getting involved? The ACATE is seeking to fill several positions on the Council, including 3 educators, 1 practitioner, and 1 public member.