Celebrating 50 Years of Healing Through Art
For five decades, the American Art Therapy Association has advocated for access to professional art therapists and the advancement of art therapy as a regulated mental health and human services profession. We’ve accomplished much together on behalf of our profession—from continuing to educate the public about art therapy and advocating for licensure, to responding to national policy decisions that harm the most vulnerable. But there’s more to be done to expand access to professional art therapists!
Join Us as We Celebrate our 50th Year!
Share your Art Therapy Story
The AATA wouldn’t be at our 50th year without our members, our mental health allies, and the communities we serve! We invite you to share your experiences with and reflections about art therapy to help us raise awareness and advocate on behalf of our profession. If you’re a practitioner, we hope you’ll share advice you have for the next generation of art therapists. (We asked current art therapy students for questions they’d want answered by the pioneers and long-time practitioners in our field!) Find the questions here.
If you’d like to share artwork about the power of art therapy, or photos to help us celebrate our 50th Anniversary, please upload them here. (You’ll be asked to sign in with your Google account to upload files.)
Donate to the 50th Anniversary Campaign
Will you help us make 2019 an even bigger year? Your donation will support our work to:
- Educate the public about the benefits of art therapy.
- Advocate for licensure for art therapists. The AATA’s chapters are launching campaigns supporting state licensure legislation in 13 states in 2019!
- Fund trauma recovery grants to help art therapists serve communities impacted by natural disasters and traumatic events.
- Support art therapy research through grants, publications and conferences.
- Make diversity, equity and inclusion a core priority.
- Provide scholarships to art therapy students and new professionals.
AATA members can also set up their own fundraising page! Creating a personalized fundraising page will enable you to share why art therapy is important to you and the communities you serve as an art therapist. Research has proven that a personal story is more compelling than statistics when asking people to donate money. Then share your page with your friends and networks via email or social media. (You can always share our main fundraising page, of course!)
Join the #AATA50th Conversation on Social Media
Throughout the year, we’re posting art therapy milestones and related themes on our Facebook event page. You can also post your own related content on Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #AATA50th. Be sure to follow and tag us at @arttherapyorg on Twitter or Instagram at @arttherapyorg! We not only honor our members and the work they do helping communities they serve, but aim to raise awareness of art therapy overall.
Thanks to our Supporters and Sponsors
Read What People are Saying
Watch AATA Member Videos
Keep checking back for new videos! In the meantime, create a video sharing your art therapy story! Download the Seenit Capture app on your iPhone or via Google Play and join our project called #AATA50th. (You can use aata50 to search for the project and as the login code.) Then take a video telling your story about why you’re passionate about art therapy and AATA! We’ll be combining videos to create fun montages throughout our 50th year.
Connect with a Local Chapter
Did you know there are AATA chapters in 38 states? You can find details about each chapter here. Or follow them on social media!
- Alabama Art Therapy Association (ALATA)
- Arizona Art Therapy Association (AZATA): Facebook, Instagram
- Art Therapy Association of Colorado (ATACO): Instagram
- Connecticut Art Therapy Association (CATA): Facebook
- Delaware Valley Art Therapy Association (DVATA): Facebook, Instagram
- Florida Art Therapy Association (FATA): Facebook, Instagram
- Georgia Art Therapy Association (GATA): Facebook
- Illinois Art Therapy Association (IATA): Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Indiana Art Therapy Association (INDIATA)
- Iowa Art Therapy Association (IATA): Facebook
- Kansas Art Therapy Association (KATA): Facebook, Twitter
- Kentucky Art Therapy Association (KYATA): Facebook
- Louisiana Art Therapy Association (LATA): Facebook
- Maryland Art Therapy Association: Facebook
- Michigan Association of Art Therapy (MAAT): Facebook
- Minnesota Art Therapy Association (MNATA): Facebook, Instagram
- Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Rhode Island: New England Art Therapy Association (NEATA): Facebook, Instagram
- Mississippi Art Therapy Association
- Missouri Art Therapy Association (MATA): Facebook, Twitter
- Montana Art Therapy Association
- New Jersey Art Therapy Association (NJATA): Facebook, Instagram
- New Mexico Art Therapy Association (NMATA): Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- New York:
- North Carolina Art Therapy Association (NCATA)
- Ohio’s Buckeye Art Therapy Association (BATA): Facebook
- Art Therapy Association of Oklahoma (ATAO)
- Pennsylvania‘s Delaware Valley Art Therapy Association (DVATA): Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Puerto Rico Art Therapy Association (PRATA): Facebook
- South Carolina Art Therapy Association (SCATA): Facebook
- Tennessee Art Therapy Association (TATA): Facebook
- Utah Art Therapy Association (UATA): Facebook
- Art Therapy Association of Vermont (ATAV): Facebook, Instagram
- Virginia Art Therapy Association (VATA): Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Washington‘s Evergreen Art Therapy Association (EATA)
- Washington, DC‘s Potomac Art Therapy Association (PATA): Facebook, Instagram
- Wisconsin Art Therapy Association (WATA): Instagram
Celebrate at the Annual Conference!
We hope that you will join us for an in-person celebration of our 50th anniversary at this year’s annual conference! The conference will take place Wednesday, October 30–Sunday, November 3, 2019, in Kansas City, Missouri. Please see the photos below for a preview of the location, and please save the dates!
The Call for Proposals is now closed.
Early Bird Registration is open until Friday, June 14, 2019. Register here.
We hope to see you this fall in Kansas City! Hotel and travel information can be found here.
Scroll Through AATA Memories
We’re compiling AATA milestones and historic moments. Stay tuned for more!